Dixie Derby Girls News

Monday, August 31, 2009

Thrill-HER Double Header

What a weekend! This by far turned into my favorite bout weekend yet.

Dixie Derby closed out our home season with a doubleheader this weekend, dubbed "Thrill-HER" as a tribute to Michael Jackson.

To kick it off, our "B" team, The Ragin' Rockets, took on the Chattanooga Roller Girls. Again, some of our recently graduated freshmeat made their derby debut and did exceptionally well! I was put on a 4-jammer rotation for this one, which was very different for me as I felt extremely well rested throughout the game. Besides a small incident in my first jam of the 1st period (I broke another finger... AGAIN), I felt great for this game. Our super speedy stats people have already distributed the stats (kudos stat nerds!) I jammed a total of 7 jams, got lead jammer 4 of those 7, and scored a total of 32 points. Not too shabby! Only landed in the box twice... once for an alleged forearm major and once for a major track cut. No minors, which means I played a damn clean game! (or I didn't get caught~ mmuwahahaha) Might be liking this whole jamming thing a bit more again. The final score was Ragin' Rockets 110 - Chattanooga 56.

During the final jam, I escaped to the locker room to do a super quick change for the between game Thriller performance. Everyone was really excited and the performance went really well! It landed us a spot on several TV stations, and the crowd went wild with it. That was really fun to do, and I'm super glad I got to participate in the performance. It looked great with all the smoke and lights. We even had our own great Michael Jackson lookalike... it worked out perfectly that it all happened on what would have been Michael's 51st birthday too.

After I got my zombie on, it was time to race back to the locker room and get ready for Bout #2 with the DDG All-Stars. Yuppers, I skated in BOTH games. I wasn't jamming in the All-Star game, but let me tell you... that marathon Stomp weekend really prepped me for this. 2 bouts back-to-back? Cake!

So they had me playing the middle-in position for this game. I hadn't ever played that position, and its not really one I'm comfortable with, but I guess I didn't do too bad. I managed 3 or 4 take-downs, which for a beanpole like me isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Wooohooo! I was pretty excited! Stats say I again didn't commit any major or minors at ALL in the All-Star game, which means either A) I'm not hitting enough or B) the refs seem to not see me, haha. Oh well! The game was really intense... we battled back and forth with the mixed team of Smooth Criminals, but in a buzzer beater they pulled out a one point victory. Final Score: DDG All-Stars 115, Smooth Criminals 116.

We didn't have time to really be down about it, because a special guest grabbed the mic right after the final buzzer. Big congratulations to (BOA) Bitch on Arrival who was proposed to (and accepted) at the end of the All-Star game! Much derby love!

Up Next: DDG vs. Classic City in Athens, GA -- September 12th

Photos: Ian McAlister, Angela Zaborny

2 comments:

  1. You were one hot mama out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a TRUE inspiration! I hope I get to be just like you one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=5730c5143071b00fdfecee6bb709003d