Dixie Derby Girls News

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Puerto Rico or BUST!

One of the great things I love about Roller Derby is the fact that its a hobby that allows us all a new avenue to travel and explore different areas. This was the inspiration behind my "Derby Tour" project, to skate with as many teams as I could all across the country... and the WORLD. (I need to do some updating of my Derby Tour notes, yikes I'm behind)

To that effect, I was majorly bummed to have missed the trip last year to Hawaii with the rest of the girls, but always wanted to make a trip to my homeland of Puerto Rico and have been searching for a start-up team there for some time now.

Thanks to the wonder of Facebook, not only did I find a team there.... I found several! They've organized together into the Tropic Terrors of Puerto Rico. This consists of about 5-6 teams spread out across the island in San Juan, Mayaguez, Ponce, Arecibo, Bayamón, Caguas... a BUNCH of rising derby on a pretty small little island! That's exciting to me!

The Reckless Bandidas in San Juan is the team that I have been working with on a Pan-American game versus DDG. They are all very new to derby there, and will be using this as one of their first public debuts to the sport. We've set up a bout for October 22 in San Juan, and are really excited to be skating on the island!

So.... there's a bunch to do in just a short time to get there, and a few of us DDG's are trying to come up with some ways to support getting the team there. Look out for a benefit show to be announced soon!

In the mean time, if you can help throw a few coins into my Puerto Rico or Bust piggy bank below, I'd be MUCHO grateful!

WEPA!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ss_blog_claim=5730c5143071b00fdfecee6bb709003d