Dixie Derby Girls News

Monday, January 24, 2011

New Skates = Happy Dance!

At the end of the 2010 season, my good old Vixens found a new home with one of our freshies, Marley. I loved those things, but after trying on Cakeface's super light weight skates, the skate mechanic in me decided I wanted some new super badass skates for my 2011 return.

I did months of research (what else is there to do in the offseason, anyways?). I had decided I wanted the new Riedell Powerdyne Revenge plates, but hadn't made up my mind on a new boot. I know I wanted to upgrade, but couldn't decide between the 951, 965 (Minx), 911(Jammer) or 1065(Siren) model boots.

In December, Asian Invasion and I made a quick day trip up to Asphalt Beach in Nashville. I had narrowed it down to either the Minx or Sirens by this point, but really wanted to try them on. Both felt wonderful, but with my skinny little ankles, the Sirens had the Heel lock system that helps to keep your heel planted in the skate instead of the slippage I'm used to dealing with. So, I decided to go with the Sirens.

My official return is February 2nd, so I won't get to try them out in practice mode until then. But let me tell ya, I'm finding every excuse to put them on my feet and play around that I can. The night I picked them up, I had to work at my second job Advance Auto (how else am I gonna afford awesome new derby skates?!?). We were slow, which worked as a perfect opportunity to test them out by doing laps around the store and booty blocks into the display racks! Take that, brake cleaner!

Can't wait to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ss_blog_claim=5730c5143071b00fdfecee6bb709003d